Thursday, April 16, 2009

Eggless Savory Toast

The moment I saw this recipe on Mahimaa's blog, I immediately wanted to try it and I did try it the same day :-). I started making it for an evening snack, but ended up having it as my dinner instead. It was that yummy, and the combination with the ketchup was just amazing. Thanks Mahi!!!

Ingredients:

Bread slices - 6
Sooji/rava (semolina) - 1/2 cup (using a measuring cup)
Plain yogurt - 1/2 cup (using a measuring cup)
Onions - about 1/2 cup (using a measuring cup) finely chopped
Tomatoes - about 1/2 cup (using a measuring cup) finely chopped
Green chillies - 1 or 2 finely chopped (vary this to suit your taste)
Turmeric - a pinch
Cilantro - 2 teaspoons finely chopped
Red chilli powder - a couple of pinches (for that extra kick ;-))
Salt to taste

Procedure:

1. Mix all the above ingredients (except bread) in a bowl and set aside.
2. Coat the bread slices on each side with the mixture from step 1 and shallow fry on a pan with a couple of drops of oil on both sides. Like Mahi had mentioned in her blog, you might want to use your hand to get the mixture on both sides of the bread slice.
3. Serve with ketchup. As simple as that!!!!

I strongly recommend all my friends to try this out as it is very very easy to make and also tastes great. I'm often having it for breakfast and snack these days. It tastes like some kind of cutlet when had with ketchup :-) and it feels good to be able to eat something different with bread.

6 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

yum yum...looks great anu.

Anupama said...

@ Mahimaa: Thanks a lot Mahi!!!! I simply love this dish :-).

lata raja said...

Again no need to cook anything??? Not even toast the bread? I will mail it to Niki .Thanks for sharing.

Anupama said...

@ Lata Raja: Yes, no need to cook anything at all!!!! When I first came across that recipe on Mahimaa's blog, I knew I would like it very much and I did :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sending your breakfast recipe to "Show Me Your Breakfast Event"!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! This is like an eggless version of bombay toast. Ok, you just saved me the trouble of thinking - "what can i make for breakfast tomorrow?". This is gonna be it! :)