Sunday, May 17, 2009

Simple Peanut Chutney

I was way too hungry the moment I finished making idlis today and had initially thought I'd have them with yogurt or sugar, but then I changed my mind and started craving for some chutney to go with my idlis and owing to the extent to which I was hungry, didn't want to make anything complicated that would take some time to prepare. While I was thinking of a really quick chutney to make, I saw this unopened can of lightly salted, roasted peanuts lying in my shelf and instantly knew what I was going to make. Having roasted peanuts at home came in handy today :-).

Ingredients (about 2 - 3 servings):

Roasted peanuts - a cup (using a measuring cup)
Green chillies - 2 to 3 cut into pieces (vary this to suit your taste)
Tamarind - 1/4 inch piece if fresh/less than 1/4 teaspoon if using paste

Salt to taste


For seasoning:


Cooking oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon

Urad dhal - 1/4 teaspoon

Asafoetida - a pinch

Dried red chilli - 1
Curry leaves - a few


Procedure:


1. Grind the roasted peanuts, green chillies and tamarind to a paste along with salt and set aside.
2. In a small pan, heat some cooking oil, pop mustard seeds, add asafoetida dried red chilli, curry leaves and urad dhal and fry until the urad dhal turns light golden brown in color. Now, transfer the contents to ground peanuts from step 1, mix and serve.

Tip:

I usually have some seasoning (mustard, asafoetida and urad dhal) handy. It saved me the extra few minutes today!!!

To contribute more to the flavor, you can add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic in the seasoning or while grinding. You can serve this chutney with idli, dosai, chappathi and upmas.

This goes to 15 minute cooking @ Spices etc... hosted by Mahimaa.

8 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

yummy.. i love peanut chutney.

Sunitha said...

Hey Anu, great recipe da. Try using red chillies, instead of green....different flavor and also amazing! You dont even need to season that; my friend Sujatha makes it like that :-)Always loved it!

Parita said...

Thats very delicious looking peanut chutney..i have never tried making chutney purely using peanut..will give it a try..

Anupama said...

@ Mahi: Thanks Mahi :-)

@ Sunitha: Hi Suni, I'll surely try with red chillies next time around. I also think the flavor will be different yet tasty :-)

@ Parita: Thanks for stopping by :-)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow Anu I love peanuts chutney I make it the same way, this should taste great!!!

Anupama said...

@ Ramya: Thanks Ramya. I learned this from one of my Andhra friends :-).

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I love the taste of peanut in a chutney-beats peanut butter hands down!!

Anupama said...

@ Sweta: Agreed! I don't like peanut butter anyway :-)